Doing Nothing Does Harm - Home
Because doing nothing does harm.
A group of people are sitting around a table in a restaurant.
Man 1: Hey, that reminds me; I can't make it tomorrow night. I've got the kids.
Man 2: What? The Kids? *Laughs* What about Jenny? I mean, isn't that her job?
[Man 1 and Woman 1 look at each other awkwardly.]
[On screen titles] 'When you see disrespect towards women, speak up.
Man 1: Mate, it's not 'Jenny's job'. It's called parenting. It's the dads' job, too.
Man 2: Yeah, of course. Uh, sorry mate.
[On screen titles] Do something, because Doing Nothing Does Harm
[Our Watch logo]
[On screen titles] Learn more at DoingNothingDoesHarm.org.au
Show it's not OK
Use body language to show your disapproval:
- Roll your eyes
- Shake your head
- Don’t laugh along
- Walk away
- Stand between the person being disrespectful and the woman.
Speak up to stop disrespect
Speak up about disrespectful behaviour:
- Question sexist jokes: ‘I don’t get what’s funny?’
- Focus on the behaviour: ‘That comment was out of line’
- Purposely change the topic: ‘Seriously? Let’s move on’
- Make a joke: ‘C’mon, aren’t we better than that?’
- Ask them to stop: ‘Alright, that’s enough’.